My Baking Bible – Scrumptious Home Baking
I think it’s fair to say I love a cookery book and as a professional baker I tend to justify my ‘investment’ purchases of them as essential to my job, the truth is I very rarely actually bake anything in them or from my favourites I have just a couple of recipes I use.
With this in mind when I was asked to work on a cookery book to help raise awareness of a local charity and raise vital funds for them I immediately knew this recipe book needed to be different, so together as a team we decided to make a compilation of 50 firm favourite recipes. Scrumptious Home Baking was born and I can honestly say I bake every recipe within the book, in fact some of the recipes I use in my ‘professional’ baking world. My favourite being the Lemon Drizzle cake which has graced many a wedding cake created.
The Charity behind this recipe book is Diverse Abilities, they support children and adults with profound learning and physical disabilities across the whole of Dorset, including our son James.
We wanted the book to bring together all the families they support, so many of the recipes are from the people the charity support, staff members, local businesses and celebrities such as Dermot O’leary and the Fishy Fishy team, Duncan James from boyband Blue fame and Chris Jarvis presenter from Cbeebies.
The recipes include firm favourites such as scones, chocolate cake and cheesecake with a section especially designed for children. The recipes are easy to follow that even the most novice of bakers can follow them. The images are stunning and a joy to just flick through and throughout the book look out for handy hints, a moving forward, conversion charts and how to raise money through running a bake sale, invaluable information for anyone with a school aged child.
Here is one of my favourite recipes from the book, it couldn’t be simpler.
Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 110g margarine
- 165g self raising flour
- 165g caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons of icing sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180c/Gas mark 4.
- line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- place all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and beat will until smooth.
- pour into the prepared tin.
- cook for approx 50 minutes until the top is springy when pressed with fingertips.
- leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then place on a wire rack.
- gently heat the icing sugar and lemon juice until completely dissolved and becomes a thicker syrup
- prick the top of the cake with a fork.
- pour over the lemon syrup.
- once cool dust with icing sugar.
If you would like to order a copy of Scrumptious Home Baking it is currently on sale at just £5 (rrp £9.99) from Diverse Abilities – http://www.diverseabilities.org.uk