Easter is one of my favourite times of year to bake, everyone in the family can get involved and simple decorations such as mini eggs and yellow fluffy chicks make Easter cakes really special.
I love all the spices used in Easter baking from warm hot cross buns with lashings of butter to melt in the mouth buttery Easter biscuits. So I thought I’d do a bit of an experiment and marry all those flavours into Easter Biscuit inspired cupcakes. Sometimes the best recipes are those inspired by your favourite flavours.
- 6oz golden caster sugar
- 6oz stork margarine
- 3 free range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6oz self raising flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2oz dried fruit such as sultanas and currants
- zest of half an orange
- 2 shortbread biscuits
- A dash of milk
- Preheat oven to 170c
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases
- Place the sugar and margarine in a mixer and beat until smooth & creamy
- Weigh out the flour, adding the cinnamon then add 1 tsp to the mixture, this will stop the mixture splitting when you add the eggs.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each one until they are fully incorporated.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk, mixing well.
- Add the flour, folding in on a slow speed or with a wooden spoon.
- Finally stir in the dried fruit, orange zest and crumble the shortbread into mix.
- Spoon the mixture between the 12 cases about 3/4 full.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes. To test lightly press the top with your finger if the sponge bounces back they are ready.
These cupcakes are delicious served whilst warm or drizzle some glace icing over the top.