Hello & welcome to our Christmas newsletter, this month’s edition is packed full of photo’s, our best ever Christmas Cake Recipe, the ultimate top ten gifts for keen bakers & a fantastic competition to win a birthday cake for a date of your choice during 2015.
The highlight of November was a trip to Cake International in Birmingham, the cakes on show were amazing & inspiring. We were lucky enough to attend a Paul Bradford workshop, he is truly one of the masters of cake decorating, he taught us how to create free standing cakes & We also learnt the art of lace work & can now offer lace work on our cakes, (see pic)
The rest of the month has been busy planning lots of exciting additions to our website for the New Year, we are working on a collection of tutorials, perfect for those people who’d love to make a great cake but don’t know where to start. We will be running more cupcake decorating workshops, children’s cupcake parties & offering 1-1 baking or decorating tuition. And finally this month our focus has been on Christmas Cakes, penguins have again been popular but we have introduced Christmas owls & a Skandi themed Christmas Cake bar to the Christmas range.
If you struggle for gift inspiration, why not give the gift of cake, our vouchers can be redeemed against classes, parties or cakes.
CHRISTMAS CAKE RECIPE
This such an easy to follow recipe & because the fruit is soaked for 48 hours in Brandy, doesn’t need to be made weeks in advance or left to mature.
- 450g currants
- 175g sultanas
- 175g raisins
- 75g glacé cherries (rinsed, dried and chopped into quarters)
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 225g plain flour
- quarter level teaspoon nutmeg
- half level teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 225g salted butter
- 225g soft brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 50g ground almonds
- 1 level dessert spoon black treacle
- zest of a lemon
- zest of an orange
You will need an 8″ round tin. Grease & line the tin with grease proof paper. Then wrap a double layer of brown paper around the outside of the tin, this will stop the cake from burning on the edges.
- Start the cake 48 hours before you want to bake it. Weigh out the dried fruit & cherries, place in a mixing bowl & mix in the brandy cover with a clean tea towel for 48 hours stirring occasionally.
- After 48 hours pre-heat the oven to 140c.
- Measure out all the ingredients, this makes it easier not to forget something.
- Sift the flour & spices into a mixing bowl.
- In a seperate bowl beat the butter & sugar together until light & fluffy.
- Beat the eggs in a seperate bowl, then add them gradually to the butter mixture until fully incorporated.
- Stir the ground almonds into the fruit, until its fully coated.
- Fold the flour & spices into the butter & egg mixture.
- Fold in the fruit a little at a time giving the mixture a thorough stir, add the treacle to this mix & continue stirring until mixed well.
- Finally add the grated zest of the lemon & orange, mixing in thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake tin.
- Cover the top of the cake with a circle of grease proof paper with a 50p hole in the middle, (this protects the top of the cake during baking).
- Bake on the lowest shelf for 4-4.5 hours. stick a skewer into the centre of the cake to test, if it comes out clean the cake is cooked. Cool the cake in the tin for 1 hour then remove & finish cooling on a wire rack, when fully cooled wrap in a double layer of grease proof paper then a layer of foil until you want to marzipan & ice the cake.
This cake can be made a few days before or a few months before & fed with a little brandy a couple of times.
Our next cupcake workshop will be on 10th March 2015, 10 – 1.30pm. This will be a Cath Kidston inspired class. You will learn how to decorate a box of 6 cupcakes (to take home), refreshments included. £40 places are limited as we keep our classes small.
ADVERTISE WITH US
Are you a cake supplier, Dorset business, run a cake club or classes, or in the wedding industry? why not advertise with us. Your details & image would appear on our home page of our website as well as your company featured in our monthly newsletter & on our social media sites. Its a very affordable route to reaching out to potential customers, We are receiving hundreds of visitors to our site every month. Contact us for further details.
OUR TOP TEN BAKING GIFT IDEAS
1. KitchenAid mixer – an investment piece of equipment but well worth the money, Steamer Trading Co have lots of fantastic offers on at the moment. http://www.steamer.co.uk/ £379
2. Cook & bake deep muffin tin, good quality tins make baking so much easier & a good place to start with building a basic baking collection. http://www.lakeland.co.uk/ from £9.99
3. Scrumptious Home Baking – A fabulous collection of recipes bought to you by Dorset’s Disability Charity ‘Diverse Abilities Plus’ , A great gift & supporting an amazing charity too. Currently £5 at http://cards.diverseabilitiesplus.org.uk/?product=scrumptious-home-baking
4. A vintage style apron from Posh Pinnies will make you look the part & very practical too. http://www.poshpinnies.com/ £25 – £35.
5. Cupcake workshop or individual baking tuition from ourselves, our gift vouchers are now available from £10.
6. A hamper by post, the perfect way to surprise someone, Betty’s have a large range of beautiful Christmas hampers. http://www.bettys.co.uk/gifts-hampers
7. Linea vintage mixing bowl in pastel pink, a pretty addition to any kitchen. http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/ £23
8. Joseph Joseph shell kitchen scales, http://www.johnlewis.com/ £55
9. The Great British Bake Off gifts are a sure hit with anyone who loves the series, Amazon stock a large range of GBBO products. http://www.amazon.co.uk from £4.99
10. Bake A Smile, the gift you give, if you can bake you can register with this charity to bake cakes for sick children. They match requests with anyone in that location. http://www.bakingasmile.org/
We are running a competition during December exclusively for our local newsletter subscribers. We will be picking one of you to receive an 8″ decorated chocolate birthday cake at a time of your choice during 2015.
Our Spring newsletter will contain our signature Chocolate Brownie recipes, plus the latest news, offers, tips & photo’s. If you have been baking this month we’d love to see your pictures & maybe share a few. Email them to us at cakebysadiesmith.co.uk
THIS MONTH’S CAKES
Happy Christmas to you all & see you in 2015